Thursday 15 March 2012

What is Social Phobia?

It's natural to feel self-conscious, nervous, or shy in front of others at times. Anyone can have a racing heart, sweaty palms, or fluttering stomach when trying out for chorus, asking someone on a first date, or giving a class presentation.
When people feel so self-conscious and anxious that it prevents them from speaking up or socializing most of the time, it's probably more than shyness. It may be an anxiety condition called “social phobia”.
Social phobia (also sometimes called social anxiety) is a type of anxiety problem. Extreme feelings of shyness and self-consciousness build into a powerful fear. As a result, a person feels uncomfortable participating in everyday social situations. Like other phobias, social phobia is a fear reaction to something that isn't actually dangerous, although the body and mind react as if the danger is real. This means that someone feels physical sensations of fear, like a faster heartbeat and breathing. These are part of the body's fight-flight response. They're caused by a rush of adrenaline and other chemicals that prepare the body to either fight or make a quick getaway. As the body experiences these physical sensations, the mind goes through emotions like feeling afraid or nervous.

If a teacher called on me, I'd panic. My heart would be so fast, and I felt like I could barely breathe. My mind would just go blank, even though I knew the answers. My teachers were nice, but the moment I'd get called on, I was too nervous to say anything at all. Mos of the time, I tried not to get called on.” - Lana, 16.
























Posted by Htet Htet Oo (Cynthia) 

No comments:

Post a Comment